Injection Molding Manager
Reports to Director of Production
The Injection Molding Manager is responsible for managing the day to day activities of the Molding department. This includes maintaining the Molding department schedule, overseeing the set-up, cycling and operating of all molding machines, supervising the department and ensuring all training and reviews of employees are conducted on time. This position works with Engineering to determine and correct part flaws as well as understand the principles of scientific molding. In addition, the Manager works with the Sales department to understand customer needs and requirements. Finally, the Manager is responsible for the quality of all parts produced as well as the safety of all employees.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years experience in a Tier 1 injection molding manufacturing plant leading a production team. The candidate will be familiar with mold design and injection processes and understand technology used in the processes (6 axis robots, pick and place robots,..). This position requires a level of ownership and accountability as well as flexibility to adjust processes to continuously growing business.
- Analyze an injection molding process, reveal mold imperfection of an injection mold component and lead a cross-functional team in the problem-finding process;
- Analyze open calculations of injection molding plastic parts and thus following the skill to identify and realize cost reduction potentials;
- Analysis and solve the related technical and quality problems during the manufacture process, to ensure continuous operation;
- Responsible and accountable for actions promoting an environment that fosters personal growth and development;
- Establish standard operating procedure SOP for new products, verify and update existing SOP
- Establish all the work instructions of the molding department, and improve the daily management of the molding department;
- Supervise, schedule and manage all aspects of the Molding department (approx. 90 associates on 3 shifts)
- Work with Process Technicians and Engineering to develop processing cycles for all molding machines.
- Troubleshoot any molding issues using Root Cause Analysis to determine and correct the issues going forward.
- Improve department efficiency by working with Engineering to develop and implement molding automation, including 6 axis robots, sprue pickers and conveyors;
- Work with the Sales Department to ensure all customer needs are met on a timely basis.
- Develop a network of Team Leaders that work directly with operators to ensure all machines stay running.
- Attend the daily production meeting and assign work based on the priorities outlined in the meeting.
- Manage department profitability by improving first time yield and reducing material waste.
- Work with Quality to qualify new or existing parts on new Molding Machines.
- Prepare and conduct all Molding department employee reviews.
- Keep the department clean and ensure it is customer ready always.
- Train and cross-train employees on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure all set-up files are updated and stored electronically.
- Maintain the preventative maintenance schedule for all Molding machines and auxiliary equipment
- Create and maintain a safe work environment.
- Internal and External technical support for tooling/process/quality issues;
- Participate in supplier development, assessment and evaluation
- BS Degree, related in Mechanical Engineering or Mold Technology
- 5+ years injection molding management experience in Tier 1 supplier in automotive industry
- Familiar with mold design, injection process, and mold structure;
- Good management skill and communication skill;
- Ability to work with Microsoft office applications
- Competence to analyze an injection molding process, to reveal mold imperfection of an injection mold component and to lead a cross-functional team in the problem-finding process;
- Competence to analyze open calculations of injection molding plastic parts and thus following the skill to identify and realize cost reduction potentials;
- Analyze and solve the related technical and quality problems during the manufacture process, to ensure continuous operation;
- Ability to establish SOP and SIP for new products, verify and update existing SOP and SIP;
- Ability to establish all the working instructions of the molding department, and improve the daily management of the molding department;
- Understand and enhance Internal and External technical support for tooling/process/quality issues;
- Knowledge of supplier development, assessment and evaluation