Our client, a Tier 1 automotive supplier south of Spartanburg, SC is looking for an experienced Joining Lab Supervisor, with experience in destructive testing of predominantly welded parts.
The supervisor is to lead all activities in Joining Technology Labs and tear down areas to effectively monitor joint integrity including but not limited to these technologies: clinch fasteners, welded fasteners, clinch joints, various adhesives and sealers, roller hems, laser welding, laser braze, mig braze, mig weld, resistance spot welds and rivets.
To ensure proper equipment, procedures, training is in place and maintained. Thorough knowledge of joining methods (welding/ metals / adhesives), inspection methods, Customer, safety and IATF requirements are a must.
- To ensure Plant is proactive in their approach to measurement, analysis and continual improvement of joint integrity.
- Ensure Control Plan considers proper prevention and detection methods for joint integrity using best tools available such a cut and etch to verify penetration.
- Monitor Control Plan adherence and effectiveness
- Ensure lab has proper equipment needed to effectively monitor health of various types of joints.
- Ensure proper evaluation methods, lab procedures and reaction plans are in place and effective.
- Evaluate and grow knowledge base of lab technicians.
- Maintain process to analyze trends in joint integrity, react appropriately and cascade throughout organization.
- In event of failures use proper problem solving tools to find true root cause of fracture origin, weldability issues etc.
- Understand Customer standards, IATF requirements and safety regulations and meet or exceed.
- Able to present to Customer in a strong, professional, analytical method the status of joints and trend monitoring.
- Assist Plant as needed during times of high demand.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred.
- Previous experience working in or managing Lab preferred.
- Extensive experience with various joining technologies used in automotive industry.
- Motivated, assertive personality, strong leader, willingness to learn, seeks opportunities for improvement.
- Knowledge of quality tools/techniques (APQP, PPAP, IATF-16949, 5-Phase, 8D etc)
- High proficiency in understanding math data, interpretation and part measurement.
- Extensive knowledge of GD&T.
- Knowledge of material types, material testing methods, equipment and software.
- Proficient with microscopes and analysis software.
- Proficient in sample preparation methods.
- Proficient with tear down methods used to inspect joints.
- Extensive knowledge of various joining technologies used in automotive industry on steel and aluminum.
- Knowledge of Statistical Problem Solving Techniques.
- Extensive experience of interacting successfully with Customer and Customer engineering.